Monday, April 30, 2012

Online vs. Blended vs. Traditional Learning Environments

Using Creately, I created the following venn diagram comparison of online, blended, and face-to-face learning:



The point I was really trying to make with my comparison is that there are certain core principles of education that hold true, no matter the learning environment.  In order to maximize student learning, quality teachers need to create engaging learning opportunities based upon clear standards and objectives.  These teachers need to provide timely, constructive feedback to students in order to help them grow.  Clearly, I am focused on the teacher’s role in education, rather than on the student or family role, but that is the only that I, as an educator, can fully control.  

In my comparison, I also overlook the role of technology in face-to-face learning.  I know that in many of today’s classrooms, technology is required and is being integrated effectively into classroom instruction and student learning.   However, I also know of many classrooms that do not use much technology or where technology is integrated ineffectively.  Although quality learning and teaching can definitely take place without technology, this may be short-sighted if our ultimate goal is to prepare students for the world outside of a traditional school. 

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Great Venn diagram! I agree that even though technology isn't the end all when it comes to teaching/learning our job is to prepare them for their life after school. Most jobs today require the use of technology and our students need to be capable of using it to complete their work and communicate with others.

Unknown said...

In my comparison, I included technology in all three models because if it's not there now in some schools, it will have to be soon even if it the $35 Raspberry Pi computer (check it out). I also think that traditional F2F classrooms/institutions will be undergoing radical change in the coming years. They won't disappear, but will be transforming into several different blended models where a lot of the content, communication and production are online while students are still in brick and mortar with a teacher that has bad breath. Many different models will emerge, even some that perhaps have students 1/2 time with teachers and 1/2 time online, either at school or elsewhere. Mike Theine in his post sends us a link to "School of One" , which is one kind of model I'm talking about.