Saturday, April 21, 2012

Reflecting on Online Learning


            This class is a definite trial by fire for me; this class along with CEDO 525, are my first experiences with online learning.  The closest I have come in the past is a distance learning class, but that mostly involved me reading and writing with no interaction with peers or a professor.  I was not really prepared for what online learning would be like; in the past week or so, I have gotten a headset, joined Skype, joined Google Plus, and had my first Skype conference call working on a Google Doc.  Because I have always loved traditional face-to-face learning, this experience is pushing me well outside my comfort zone….but I can already say that is a good thing.
            It is difficult to discuss advantages and disadvantages, as I have only had a total of two classes/modules.  So far, though, I do like the practical application of blogging, Skyping, and collaborating with Google Docs.  Because I am actually using them, it will be easier to brainstorm ways I can integrate these tools into classrooms at my school.  Other advantages are the convenience factor of no commuting to class and being able to be anywhere and still collaborate.  It was very cool to discover that my first group in my other class had me in Milwaukee, another person in Kenosha, and still another in Madison.  How amazing is it that technology allows this kind of group work?!?
            In terms of disadvantages, I do miss the ease of developing personal relationships that occurs in face-to-face classrooms.  While Skyping for the first time, it seemed that silences were more awkward and interruptions/talking over each other were more frequent.  I already experienced technical difficulties, too; the computer froze up about one minute before a Blackboard session started.  I also worry about self-motivation; this is not always easy for me, so hopefully, this doesn’t become a disadvantage for me!
            I am excited to continue my online learning journey and believe that this foray outside my comfort zone will only make me a better educator.  It will help me look at things from a new perspective; hopefully, I can remember my trepidation about this new experience when introducing students to new concepts, technologies, and experiences.  By putting myself in their shoes, I will be able to be a more effective teacher librarian!

No comments: