Saturday, April 28, 2012

Rubrics Vs. Online Quizzes


            Rubrics are valuable tools to assess and provide feedback on student work.  A good rubric gives specifics targets for which students can strive and can help students self-assess their own work.  I have used RubiStar several times over the years and like the features it has to offer.  I do like to make my own rubrics; however, if I am struggling with how to word something I use RubiStar’s rubric creators or public rubrics to help me.  I also looked at Rubrix, but I hesitate to embrace this type of subscription product.  The ease of use and the exciting features are great, but in an era of budget cuts, I think quality feedback can be provided in other ways.  At this year’s WEMTA Conference, I learned of scripts that can be used with Google Docs and Forms to help create rubrics for both student work and administrative classroom walkthroughs these scripts make these tools as functional as Rubrix, sending the student or teacher immediate feedback based on the created rubric.
            Online quiz programs like QuizStar and Quia can also be used to give feedback to students; however, most times, that feedback cannot be as detailed and in depth as the feedback that can be provided using rubrics.  The best use is for quick checks for understanding, rather than for checks for more in-depth student learning.  The fact that Quizstar is free makes it more useful to me, and I do like that you can use media files within your quizzes.  I also like the variety of activities, games, and quizzes that Quia can help you create.  I think students would really respond to that variety.  (I really wanted to continue playing the figurative language jeopardy game I stumbled upon…!)  All in all, though, I think these kind of tools are better used for student practice at home or during free-time, so that more time can be spent doing more real-world, project- or problem- based learning.
            Teachers in my school use a variety of tools.  some already use RubiStar and QuizStar, but many create their own rubrics.  Some teachers use the quiz feature in Moodle, but I know that it often takes a lot of work to get it working perfectly.  We also recently got our older Clicker technology to work with updated versions of Windows and PowerPoint, so I think more teachers will start to utilize those; teachers were very excited when we showed them what the clickers could do (even though they weren’t yet glitch-free!).  I also think teachers will be receptive to using Google Forms for these purposes, as well.

No comments: