Saturday, May 5, 2012

Comparison of Online Mapping Tools

Looking at online mapping tools was interesting.  There are definitely more available than I knew about.  We use Inspiration in our school, but definitely not to the degree it could be used.  It seems very easy to forget about it in the day-to-day workings in a classroom.  

I like all three of the online tools I examined (bubbl.us, MindMeister, and Exploratree),  I was prepared to like Exploratree the least, because at first glance, it seemed the least collaborative.  However, this is not the case; like the other tools, it can be used collaboratively and can even be posted for feedback and review.  Exploratree might be the best to use for collaborative purposes in education because of the fact that it is free.

It will be interesting to see if I would use these in a classroom; I have always been a “make-it-myself” kind of teacher.  I feel that with the collaborative possibilities of Google Docs, I still could make my own mind maps or graphic organizers and share these with students just as easily as using most of these tools.

bubbl.usMindMeisterexploratree
Creator/
Company/
Organization
  • bubbl.us
  • Meister Labs
  • Futurelab
  • Ease of Use
    • easy to learn
    • clear getting started and help guides
  • extensive online help
  • tutorials available
  • clear help guides
  • video tutorials available
  • Features
    • can embed on other websites
    • can choose to share as a collaborative or read only doc
    • clean interface
    • app for Google Chrome
    • Facebook page provides many usage tips
  • change history is saved
  • change history can be played back
  • mobile apps for Apple and Android devices
  • stored online
  • all users access same doc
  • clean interface
  • Geistesblitz Widgets lets you add ideas to a default map from anywhere
  • connects with Twitter
  • offline mode
  • connects with Google Docs
  • Facebook page provides ideas for use
  • developed with school and classroom learning in mind
  • pre-made or create-your-own templates
  • can be printed out or filled out on website
  • can be revealed in a sequence to help guide thinking process
  • can comment on other’s guides or submit your own for comments
  • Number/
    Types of Organizers
    • create-your-own, no pre-existing templates
  • Over 35 templates in categories such as education, business, entertainment, life, technology, etc.
  • Over 25 templates
  • Collaborative Possibilities
    • share through email or direct link
    • can collaborate with other bubbl.us users
  • share through email or direct link
  • real-time collaboration with color-coded changes
  • live chat features
  • share through email or direct link
  • Cost
    • with 50% educational discount, it is $3 / month or $29 / year
  • 3 free maps Personal:$4.99 / month
  • Academic pricing: http://www.mindmeister.com/academic
  • Free
  • Drawbacks
    • Collaborators have to bubbl.us users
    • Cost prohibitive to use in a whole class setting
  • Cost prohibitive to use in a whole class or school setting
  • not as connected to other collaborative web tools or social media sites

  • 3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    1st of all, I am not sure how you created a table in Blogger. I looked for that button and I couldn't find it. Did you copy and paste? I am just really curious on how you did that.

    Anonymous said...

    2nd, I evaluated the same three websites as you. I would have much more enjoyed it if I had a table. I am very linear like that. Anywho, I did not realize that MindMeister had so many templates. I did not find that part in the website. I originally gave exploratree a higher score because of the pre-made templates, but now I am re-thinking myself and wish I would have given MindMeister a 10 and exploratree a 9. What would you have scored them?

    Lynn said...

    I am a table person, too! I did copy and paste my table into my blog from Google Docs (tried from Microsoft Word, and it didn't work). It seems silly that Blogger doesn't have a table feature!

    I found the templates when I tried to create a new mind map...there was an option to browse the template library when you begin to create a new map.

    I am not sure which I like better. MindMeister feels newer, so it seems like kids might like it more. But since you would really have to pay a lot to have accounts for all students to get full functionality of all of the features, I almost like Exploratree better.