Sunday, May 13, 2012

Reflecting on Cooperative Learning and Reinforcing Effort


Cooperative Learning:
I have always used some form of cooperative learning in my classrooms, and after reading this chapter and taking the classes I am currently taking, I feel like I have some new tools to try with cooperative learning.  Clearly, things like Google Docs are awesome for cooperative learning; being able to view revision history can help to ensure that all group members are contributing.  There are also many other technologies that can help facilitate cooperative learning, things like wikis, blogs, and other Web 2.0 tools.

One thing I will try as a result of what I have learned is to use a rubric specifically for the groupwork; a rubric like this can help students be reflective, can help keep them focused on being productive group members, and gives them a tool to self-assess and peer-assess.  I think for setting clear expectations for learners in terms of groupwork can only improve the cooperative learning experience for all.  

I also liked the suggestion to use cooperative learning for a variety of purposes and with a variety of group combinations.  There is a chance I will be teaching a 2 hour reading/writing block next year, and I think that having base groups for the whole semester would be a great thing.  These groups could be used for “morning meeting” type activities, home groups for jigsaw activities, revising and editing, etc.  These base groups wouldn’t be used for everything, though, and I think that is important.  These base groups could give the students a sense of security, a “home base” in class and perhaps be a place to encourage reflection.
Reinforcing Effort:
In my school, teachers are required to give students standard effort and conduct comments on their report cards, in addition to a grade and individualized comments.  It is interesting to see how different students and parents react to them; some view the effort and conduct comments as even more important than grades, and some skim right over them.  As we review our grading practices, we have been brainstorming a rubric for effort, and I was interested to see one right in the chapter.  Another thing to bring to the discussion!

This section also makes me think of an article I read about praise and how it is impacting our students’ willingness – or unwillingness – to try.  Students who were praised for outcomes, like grades, become less and less likely to try things they found difficult, whereas students who were praised for their effort were more likely to attempt new things, attempt more difficult things, and be willing to fail in order to learn something new.  I think there is an important lesson in this for both parents and teachers.  We need to create learners who are willing to try new things and who are willing to risk mistakes in order to achieve greater learning and greater success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to read that article about praise that you referred to in your blog. I actually just commented on Nicole's blog and had noted how it seems like the group of high school students I have now are SO afraid to take risks. I try as much as I can to encourage students who are giving good effort in their work.

Lynn said...

Here is a link to the article, Kate:

http://www.nea.org/home/42298.htm