Saturday, May 26, 2012

Final Reflection---CEDO 525


            This class has actually given me a refresher course in teaching best practices.  Sometimes I feel like we spend too much time with other work in education (i.e. staff development days that hold no meaning), that we forget to talk about what really is “best practice” in education.  By taking a hard look, and a reflective look, at the important instructional strategies listed by the class text, I have been able to re-examine what I do as a librarian and a teacher.  I am eager to change some of my practices and perhaps even help other staff members take a reflective look at their practice through the lens of these strategies.  I think the class text would make a great all-staff book study.

            One thing this class has solidified for me is the desire to try Readers’ Notebooks on a blogging platform, I like the feedback possibilities and the ease blogs bring to reinforcing effort and providing recognition.  However, I need to explore how to make this easy to manage for teachers, meaning I need to learn more about RSS.  A summer project!  :)

            I love how this class focused on best teaching practices and how to incorporate technology to support these practices, rather than focusing on technology first.  That is such an important lesson.  Technology is something that should not be used just for the sake of using it, just because it is the latest cool thing.  Technology needs to support student learning and teaching best practice.

No comments: